Madonna Queen of Style

Posted by Sylar On Thursday, March 01, 2007

The April 2007 issue of the UK edition of ELLE hit the newsstands today, bringing the breathtaking portrait of Madonna shot by Solve Sundsbo on the cover of the magazine.

In the magazine's cover story, the world’s biggest female star talks to Kerry Potter about fashion, family, fame and being a style icon... Here are a few excerpts - the full interview appears in the April 2007 issue of ELLE, out now.

Queen of Style

"In many ways, she is just as you'd expect. She's bang on time. She's direct and economical with her words, and doesn't feel the need to witter on endlessly. She's got that strange American twang cut through with clipped English pronunciation. And she wraps up proceedings with expert polite efficiency: "I have to go as I have a meeting in seven minutes. Thank you."

But I'm happy to report that the woman who has reigned as queen of the music industry, fashion world and Planet Celebrity for the last 25 years isn't entirely terrifying. Maybe she was just in a very good mood, as the Madonna I encountered was warm, laughed a lot and even did small talk, finding it amusing that my name sounds like Harry Potter (I get this a lot and it's irritating, of course, but when Madonna takes the mickey out of you, well, it's just not that annoying, is it?).

At 48, Madonna remains the consummate celebrity multi-tasker: the most successful female pop star the world has ever known, business woman, mother, provocateur and winner of our Style Icon Award at the recent 10th ELLE Style Awards. "I'm so flattered by that," she says. 'Thank you ELLE.'

Since elbowing her way into the spotlight in 1983, she has mastered more looks than most of us have had hot dinners. But it seems the only person not fascinated by Madonna's ever-changing style is Madonna herself. "I don't have any particular favourite look. I like them all," she shrugs. "I don't like to look back. Who wants to wear last year's clothes? There are too many new things to buy!" Including pieces from her latest collaboration with high-street retailers H&M, M by Madonna, a sophisticated, grown-up collection featuring tailored trench coats and day dresses.

"I've tried to make a very chic line that's relatively inexpensive," she says. She even does her own market research. "I try my designs out on my husband - I put on an outfit and say, "Do you like this?" and he says, "Oh yes, that's cool." And I'll go, "Yep, it's only £20." And I do a lot of testing when I go out. People will comment on my outfit and I'll say, "Thanks, I designed it." And they'll look closely and go, "Really?"'

Check out the entire interview in the April 2007 issue of ELLE, out now.

0 Responses to "Madonna Queen of Style"

Post a Comment